Thursday, July 1, 2010

First, a little bit about me.

Hello.  My name is Phil.  I'm a 61 year-old retired medical laboratory director.  I've been married to my amazing wife for over 35 years.   We have a family and a gorgeous baby granddaughter who lights up our lives.  We live in a Southern California suburb, in a typical 4 bedroom tract house.

My wife and I are environmentalists.  The environment drives all of our political and many of our personal choices.
At the same time, I am what you would call a "car guy".  I've been reading Road & Track since I was in high school.  I've owned a succession of sports cars and sporty cars, culminating in my current car, a BMW 328i coupe that is far and away the best car I've owned.

A bit more than three years ago, we added solar photovoltaic (PV) panels to the roof of our home.  We now make more electrical power than we use each year.

As I thought about what to do when the lease on my BMW expires in January of 2011, I began to pay attention to the progress that car companies are making towards offering electric cars in the market, and I decided that I want my next car to be electric.

This blog will chronicle aspects of our move to solar power and toward driving an electric car.  In many ways, we are typical early adopters of solar power, and typical early customers of mass produced electric cars.  I hope that our experiences will be helpful to others who want to make similar changes in their lives.  I also hope that people in government and in the auto industry may find blogs such as this helpful in understanding the challenges and experiences faced by people like us who are interested in driving electric.

No comments:

Post a Comment